Hair Oiling. This is the slogan that went viral faster than any other news regarding hair care. Hair oiling has been known for ages and practiced until today in all Asian countries. However, only recently, the inhabitants of other parts of the world started appreciating the amazing properties of oils and stunning results of the treatment.
Natural oils have conquered the entire Internet and the hearts of many women who had to struggle with hair and scalp problems for years. Every now and then you encounter newer oils of exotic names and origins.
However, before you reach for one of them, you must learn a very easy method to determine whether it will be suitable for your hair type.
Oils differ from each other in regard of the content of essential fatty acids and particles which they are made up of. A particular size of the molecules matches a specific type of hair. The hair classification that determines the extent of its destruction is referred to as hair porosity.
Furthermore, hair porosity describes how high the scales are lifted from the cuticle layer and its condition. The tighter the scales are bound the healthier the hair. Overlapping scales (low porosity) are a barrier that prevents toxic substances from penetrating inside. Unfortunately, the care of such hair type is also troublesome as too large particles of hair products are not able to get inside and regenerate the inner parts of the hair. Thus inappropriately matched hair oil will not bring satisfactory results and can do more harm than good. It means that low porosity hair should be treated with an oil that is made of tiny particles that will be able to penetrate through the sealed scales.
Making an example of low porosity hair, we would like to explain why choosing a suitable oil is the key to success of oil hair treatment. There is only one more issue to solve:
HOW TO DETERMINE HAIR POROSITY?
It can be done by a professional – a trichologist, or you carry out a test by yourself in the comfort of your own home.
To do it at home, you will need to put into a glass or a bowl of water, a clean, free of any cosmetics, impurities strand of hair. Make sure that the water you use is not too cold (it will seal the scales) nor too hot (it will raise the scales), otherwise the results of the test will not be reliable.
Allow the hair to swim in the water for about 10 – 15 minutes. After such period of time, check how it behaves. The deeper it sinks, the higher the porosity.
Therefore, if your hair….
….floats on the surface – it indicates low porosity. Your hair is rather healthy but difficult to style. Try out the following oils with the majority of saturated fatty acids: Coconut, Babassu, Palm, Monoi and Shea Butter.
… sunk half-way down – you have medium porosity. In this case, it is best to use oils with the content of omega-7 and omega-9 monounsaturated fatty acids, such as Macadamia oil, Almond oil, SesameOil, Avocado oil, Argan oil, Archid oil).
… sunk to the bottom – your hair is highly porous. Carry out oil hair treatment with the use of oil containing omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Those include: Grape Seed oil, Sunflower oil, Black Seed oil.
Once you get to know you type of hair porosity and match appropriate oil, it is worth choosing a method of hair oiling that will suit your needs.
The best and most effective methods of hair oiling include:
- Dry Hair Oiling – apply your oil to the scalp and hair and let it work for a minimum of 30 minutes (best results will be obtained after leaving it in overnight). Cover your head with a plastic shower cap and wrap it in a warmed up towel. This way the particles will have easier access to the bulbs. After the required period of time, use a gentle shampoo and wash it all off.
Also, dry hair oiling can be done after shampooing and drying hair – just your hair absorb the oil entirely. This time avoid scalp.
- Wet Hair Oiling – oil is to be applied to damp hair. It is an effective method because water lifts the scales which makes it easier for the molecule to penetrate. You can moist your hair with a mist or use a herbal infusion and then apply oils. Do not forget about your scalp.
Such hair oiling can be done after washing your hair, however, in this care, do not apply it onto the scalp, only to towel-dried hair (starting from the mid-length).
- Oiling with a conditioner – is you want to enrich the effects of your conditioner, just add to it a few drops of oil. Use it as usually.
Each of the methods described above is effective, however, you must remember that if you want to perform a thorough regeneration, you must allow the oil to take care of your scalp at least once a week – this is where the beauty of your hair begins.
Plan for victory – hair oiling step by step
If you are interested in the topic of hair health and conditioning, you should already know that…
… first of all, no shampoo or conditioner are able to regenerate and protect your hair from damage but only hair oil has such powers.
… secondly, hair oiling should stay in your hair care routine permanently, becoming it a natural, trivial and obvious activity like washing your hair.
In order to oil your hair smoothly and bring the best results, it is a good idea to do it according to a specific plan. The following schedule will improve your ritual and make oiling a joyful and fun ritual that will not only take care of your hair, but will also allow to relax and regenerate yourself after a hard day.
Hair Oiling – Step by step
- natural oil
- a towel
- a bottle with atomizer
- an infusion of herbs (nettle, horsetail)
- boiled, warm but not hot water
- a shower cap
- optional: a small plate or bowl
- optional: a brush (may be the one you use for colour treating) or a clean toothbrush
- Cover your shoulders with a towel so that you do not stain your clothes. Pour boiled, warm water or the herbal infusion into the bottle. Spray your hair and scalp. This way you will soften your hair and lift the scales. They will become more susceptible to the effects of oils. This treatment facilitates the absorption of precious components contained in the oil.
- Comb through the hair to facilitate the application of the oil. Now comes the time for oiling. If your hair oil is not equipped with a pipette, simply pour a little on the plate or into the bowl. Part your hair and cover each section evenly with oil. Using a brush or a toothbrush just do it as if you were dyeing the roots. Of course, you can do it with your fingertips. Cover your head gently and evenly with oil, remember not to over-apply it. Then the oil will weigh hair down. Distribute the oil also onto the hair. 5 ml of the product will suffice for one treatment.
- Gently massage the scalp to improve blood circulation and facilitate oil penetration into the hair bulbs. Cover the entire head with a shower cap (oils like warmth, which makes their texture more susceptible to the penetration into the inside of the strands). You can also put a towel on the cap to keep your hair (and oil) even warmer.
- Now it is the time for the most pleasant stage. Leave the oil in for a minimum of one hour. The longer you have it in, the better the results will be. During this time, watch a good movie or a TV series, read a book, call someone you did not talk to for a long time, put on a facial mask, paint your nails … simply, make full use of this time just for yourself.
- After an hour (or a few – depending on how much time you can devote to oiling your hair) wash everything off. Make sure to use a gentle, paraben-free shampoo. It may be, for example, a baby shampoo.
Such hair oil treatment done regularly (at least twice a week) will protect your hair from damage, nourish and revitalize the strands. Your hair will gain vitality and elasticity, and it will become silky to the touch.
That’s all. Have fun oiling your hair!